Monday, July 27, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


Add or Subtract
The next day I felt sluggish. I hadn’t slept well, mostly because of my bloated stomach.
I downed a mug of coffee on my way to work, and drank another after I signed onto my computer.  I poured myself a third, knowing coffee growers in Brazil depended on me.

An hour into my day I was wide awake, and keenly aware of how crappy I felt. The coffee had done nothing to settle my stomach.

 “I need to subtract the big meals, not add more caffeine,” I said to my laptop.

I thought of a couple who really didn’t belong together.  Instead of subtracting each other from their lives, they added hobbies, thinking a little time apart my help their marriage.

He bought woodworking tools, and built himself a comfortable stool. Next he hung a TV over his workbench so he could watch DIY shows in the garage.  He lost the tips of two fingers on his table saw.

She took up cooking, discovering with the right recipe, and wine and Xanax, cooking could be fun. I met them after she got a DUI on her way home from the grocery store.

Adding more coffee hadn’t helped me. Adding hobbies hadn’t helped them.  Sometimes subtraction is the answer.
Today I won’t add when I need to subtract.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment