Wednesday, July 22, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


Isolation
“I’m worried about you,” Blondie said at dinner that night.  I knew why. The kids were all going back to school or to work.

I loved time with my family. My idea of the perfect evening was Netflix and chill, which for me meant family movie night and ice cream.  I resisted going anywhere, but was always happy afterwards when Dr. Deb made plans with friends.

I also liked time alone. I rode my bike alone. Except for the occasional trip with my neighbor, I fished alone. I wrote alone. I lifted weights alone. 

Like a lot of people, when I was sad, as I would surely be when the kids scattered, I tended to isolate.  I knew I was doing the exact opposite of what I needed to do, but I did it anyway.

“I promise to not to do more than one thing alone on any given day. If I fish, I won’t ride my bike. If I ride my bike, I won’t do any writing that day.”

“And you’ll visit?”

“Sure. I’ll want to see TyGuy. If you’re there I guess that would be OK,” I joked. She elbowed me.

Today I won’t isolate.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment