Friday, July 24, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


A Little at a Time
At dinner time I made myself a small Pittsburgh salad.  Dr. Deb stared at me.

“What?” I asked. “It’s a salad. Lettuce, tomato, onion, and peppers.”

“Hotpepper cheese, fries, a hardboiled egg, and strips of salami,” Dr. Deb said, frowning.

“Diet pop,” I said holding up the can.

“Heart attack,” she answered pointing at the salad.

I knew she was right. My diet was doing me no good. Like a lot of people, I tended to underestimate the damage I was doing if the harm was gradual.

For every person who came into the rehab because he’d had an accident, there were many more just rusting away in alcohol. For every professional about to lose her license, there were more abusing meds, but managing to get by at work.

Today I’ll beware of harm done gradually.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment