Thursday, July 9, 2020


Wounded
“You’re bleeding,” Dr. Deb said, pointing to my shin.

“I scraped it moving a rock,” I said. “I’ll clean it up later. Let’s eat.”

Blondie punched me. “Later an infection will set in and you’ll die a writhing mass of pus and boils.”
“Pass the potatoes,” Brat Boy said, unmoved by his sister’s dire warnings, his mind completely absorbed with obtaining and devouring tater tots.

 I looked to TyGuy, who shrugged. He’d been a boyfriend long enough to know disagreeing with his girlfriend’s father was a traffic ticket. Disagreeing with his girlfriend carried the death penalty.

 “Ready to eat, kiddo?”  I asked CharChar, hoping she’d take my side.

“I’m with them,” CharChar said. “You should clean it out now.”

I sighed, convinced the scrape could wait, but knowing Blondie, Dr. Deb, and CharChar were just looking out for my well-being.

Today I’ll be grateful for people looking out for me.

  
Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment