Tuesday, July 21, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


Listen Up
A couple of day later I was half an hour into a stationary bike ride at the gym. Sweat pooled on the floor beneath me as I raced toward a personal best. An old man tottered up to me, stood not a foot away and said, “Hey, you sweat a lot.”

He said it loudly enough for me to hear him clearly even with my earbuds in.  “My wife was sweaty,” he said shaking his head. “Don’t miss that about her.”

I smiled trying to seem polite but disinterested. “Her people were sweaty,” he added.

He was an old man looking for someone to talk to. I thought, ‘why me?’, but I took out my earbuds, slowed down, and listened. 

Today I will listen to someone who needs to talk.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:
www.greenbriartraining.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment