Wednesday, July 29, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

False Hopes

Roger, a rabid baseball fan, stepped into my doorway as he was leaving.  He pointed to his cap and said, “Short season. Anything could happen. They could win the division.”

“You might as well root for the coyote,” I said.

He laughed, “Sooner or later the coyote would have caught that cocky roadrunner.”

“The Pirates will win their division, the coyote will catch the roadrunner, and you’ll control your drinking. Any other false hopes you need to let go of?”

Roger laughed again. “Someday my son will get a job and move out of my basement.”

I said, “Let go of the controlled drinking one first. It’s killing you.” After he left I wondered what false hopes I might be clinging to.

Today I will let go of false hopes.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment