Thursday, July 16, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


OWAAT (One Whatever At A Time)
Because of the pandemic, many professionals were using our home-study courses to get their required training hours. A stack of envelopes containing completed tests sat on my desk when I got to work the next day.  More had been sent as email attachments.

Correcting the tests and mailing certificates filled my time until the early afternoon. I trudged into Miss Rella’s office and dropped the envelopes by the postage machine. “Done!” I said in weary triumph. Cindy winced and pointed to the stack of faxes in my mailbox.

I weighed my options. I could accidently drop them in the shredder one at a time. I could dye my hair, lie about my age, and join the Air Force. I could fake my own death. Sure, people would suspect Dr. Deb killed me, but would anyone blame her?

I picked up the stack, determined to get through them like so many things in life, one at a time.

Today I’ll take ‘em one at a time.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment