Monday, July 13, 2020



Something Extra
I trimmed the hedges. While I was at it, I edged the grass, pulled some weeds, and watered the flowers.  Because I’d put extra effort into it, the yard looked great when I was done.

In school I had done just enough to get by. I turned in papers I’d written overnight, took tests on books I’d read the day before. My high school and college transcripts looked like something the dog left in the yard.

I’d written something about addiction and recovery almost every day since I got sober. I scrupulously avoided alcohol, and built up sober relationships.  Having made the extra effort,  life had looked really good for a lot of years.

Today I will make the extra effort.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment