Friday, July 3, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS


Past
CharChar and Brat  walked up to the pond. “My mom met somebody who knows you,” CharChar said. “Mandy?”

I laughed. “Miranda Rights Jones. Her father was a recovering addict who’d been arrested many times for petty crimes.”

“Ok, that’s just wrong,” CharChar said. “He might as well have named her Dee Tension.”

“He was an idiot,” I said. “But, people have a tendency to twist the past. They remember what they want to.  That’s one reason people go back to painful relationships, or relapse even. He thought she’d be a living reminder of how many times he’d been read his Miranda rights.”

“Couldn’t he have just made a list of times he’d been arrested?” Brat Boy asked.

I shrugged, “Like I said, he was an idiot. Did I ever tell you I wanted to name you Notta?”

“Is that an Italian name?” Brat Boy asked.

“No, it’s short for ‘Oh No, Not Another One’.” Bubba the frog croaked, which is how frogs laugh.

Today I’ll try to remember the past as it truly was.



Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment