Tuesday, July 28, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

It’s Going Around

High Flyin’ Ryan poked his head into my office just before lunch.  He looked like he could conquer the world. I looked like the underside of a dumpster.

Ryan was my corporate counterpart. I trained mental health and addiction professionals. He worked with employers, helping them deal with drugs in the workplace.

“We can do this,” he assured me after outlining an ambitious plan for the fall training series.

“We can do this,” I echoed, not really believing it. I would have told Ryan he was crazy, but his enthusiasm reminded me of my first sponsor.

“You can do this,” my first sponsor had reassured me.  

“I can do this,” I had said, thinking I’d happily push him under the bus for just one shot of vodka.

Partly because of my sponsor’s enthusiasm I had done it. 

“We will do this,” I said to Ryan, gratefully catching his enthusiasm, and thinking how much easier it was to be infected with the world’s negativity.

 

Today I will catch someone’s enthusiasm.

 

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment