Friday, May 7, 2021


Fawlty Showers


First Step

The phone rang. Katy was away from her desk. I picked up the call. There was silence at the other end of the line.


I understood, I’d been there many times.  The first step in the right direction is almost always uphill.


I said, “Take the first step.” They hung up.


People find the courage to call rehabs, but hesitate, a foot in the air, poised to move forward, but afraid to leave their old lives, as miserable as they might be.  


Other people never chased their dreams, seeing the steepness of the mountain they’d need to climb, not knowing they’d get stronger with each step.  


 “The climb is always worth it,” I said to myself, “be it letting go of resentment, getting out of a bad relationship, changing jobs, going to school, starting a business, getting sober, whatever. No matter where you end up, you learn you can climb.”


I thought of some things I wanted to do, but hadn’t started. “You just gotta take that first uphill step.”

 

Today I will take the first uphill step in the right direction.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment