Wednesday, May 19, 2021


 Fawlty Showers


Progress

The speaker’s father had abused her until she turned 14. She then moved in with her with a 22 year-old drug dealer who took over where her father had left off.


“I’m 32, have five years sober, a little money in the bank, my GED, a driver’s license, and a job,” she said, smiling. “My car’s inspected and insured. My rent’s paid.”


She paused, wiped away a tear, and said, “I have a sweet, kind, boyfriend I’m trying so hard to trust, but it’s hard, ya know? If you’ve been done so wrong…”


Her voice trailed off as she broke into sobs. A young man joined her at the podium, held her until she regained her composure. The room erupted in applause.


“My dad’s in prison. I try not to be happy about that, but I can’t resist rubbing it in.”


She laughed, “I sent him a stack of really romantic Valentine’s Day cards he could give to all his new ‘friends’ on the cell block.  I find postcards of beautiful places that say ‘Wish You Were Here!’ and add the words ‘Don’t you. ’”


She continued, “Maybe someday I’ll learn to trust, let go of my resentments. For now, I hold onto that slogan, ‘progress not perfection.’”


Margaret the newbie sitting next to me whispered, “I found my nugget, ‘progress not perfection.’”

 

Today I will look for progress not perfection.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment