Thursday, August 5, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2


Rigorous Honesty

When I got home that night there was a knock at the door.  The girls next door were selling cookies.  My eye began to twitch.


The older girl sat next to me on the step by the front door, pointing at pictures of cookies she liked. Her sister recited a list of her favorites, a big smile on her face.


I wrote a check, looked at the order sheet again, ordered more and wrote a new check.


When Dr. Deb got home she saw the first check sitting on the step where I’d forgotten it.


“You ordered 25 boxes of cookies for just the two of us?” she asked.  I was supposed to be eating healthier, especially after my last lab results.


“Yes, but I had second thoughts and changed my order,” I said, knowing she’d assume I’d ordered less.

 

I hadn’t lied, I told myself. I really had changed my order.


My first sponsor’s voice echoed in my head. ‘It’s a lie if you say something trying to deceive the other person, even if it’s factually true.’


‘You’re dead, and I’m getting 30 boxes of cookies,’ I answered the voice, trying to convince myself I’d done nothing wrong,  but feeling bad and knowing the truth would come out.


‘Bet you wish you’d been rigorously honest now,’ the voice answered.

 

Today I will be rigorously honest.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

             www.greenbriartraining.com 

             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment