Thursday, August 26, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Words to Live By

I ran the afternoon group, focusing on how AA slogans and popular expressions could be misunderstood. I said, “People often misuse the words they live by.  ‘Easy does it’ doesn’t mean only do what’s easy. Anybody think of another example?”


“’One day at a time’ doesn’t mean never plan for the future,” a middle-aged man said.  I told the group about a client who told me ‘one day at a time meant’ “Wait for the day you could get even with the bastards.”


An older man’s expression darkened. “’Live and let live’ doesn’t mean we should tolerate evil.” I made a note to talk to him after group.


“Y’all watch Forensic Files?” a twenty-something woman asked. “‘Til death do us part’ doesn’t mean kill your partner.”  We laughed, and the group talked about why murder mystery shows were so popular.

 

Today I’ll make an effort to understand the words I live by.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment