Monday, August 9, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers


Shore Leave

Dr. Deb and I passed a drunken man at the beer stand.  


“I’m can’t judge him,” I said.  We walked a little in silence. Dr. Deb asked me what I was thinking.


 “Imagine two men standing in the ocean, a mile apart. The tide goes out and exposes all they’re losing, all they’ve lost.  They see dreams and plans sinking under the waves, relationships washing out to sea. 


“They have to get out of the ocean or lose even more.  One man walks barefoot across sharp rocks to shore. His progress is painful at times, but steady.


“The other man struggles to pull his feet from a muddy bottom.  Bad habits, drinking buddies, and cravings tug at him.  He wants to get to shore, but waiting for the incoming tide to hide the mess is so much easier than taking another step.”


“The tide is his next drink,” Dr. Deb said.


“Could be any bad idea, like getting back with the ex, or another gambling or food binge.   The point is, I walked across the sharp rocks.  It was painful at times, but that doesn’t give me the right to look down on someone struggling in the mud.”


“You can’t judge someone else’s struggle, based on your own,” Dr. Deb agreed.

 

Today I will not judge someone’s struggle based on my own.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment