Thursday, November 4, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

My Own Worst Critic

That evening I worked on a short story I’d been writing for months.


“How’s it coming along?” Dr. Deb asked.


“It’s garbage. It sucks. It may be the worst story ever written.”  She gestured, and I handed her my laptop. She read the first couple of pages.


“It needs some work, but it’s not bad.  Why are you doing this to yourself?”


“Doing what?” I asked.


“Acting as your own worst critic. How about you finish the story, and have somebody else critique it? Give yourself a break.”


I knew she was right. The irony was over the years I’d helped many people stop being their own worst critics.


Too many people made themselves sad and anxious being overly critical about things they said, thought and did. It was the reason so many people stumbled at the Fourth Step, taking a personal inventory.


“Maybe you’re right,” I said. “I’ll get an objective opinion when I’m done and give myself a break in the meantime.

 

Today I’ll stop being my own worst critic.

 

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment