Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Sober Not Somber

I presented “Suicide, Violence, Mental Illness, and Addiction”.  Not the happiest of topics.  At the start of the training I told the audience I took the subject very seriously, but still planned to inject some humor into the presentation.


“Sober not somber,” I said, quoting an AA slogan.


The humor was mostly at my own expense. I joked about my struggles with PowerPoint, and some of the things I’d done when I was drinking.  I repeated a story or two someone had told me about why their drug screen was positive:  “I ate twelve Costco poppy seed muffins.”


I had presented this training many times.  Once or twice someone had approached me afterward to say there was nothing funny about the topic. I told them they might be right, but was it wise to abandon your sense of humor every time a sad subject came up?


“Sober not somber isn’t just about alcohol, it’s about living as lightheartedly as you can, even when life is difficult.”

 

Today I’ll remember sober not somber.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment