Monday, November 29, 2021


Fawlty Showers 2


The Nature of the Beast

After the meeting I found DipshitDumbass the bunny in my office nibbling on a client’s chart I’d tossed onto the floor.  I’d have to copy all the pages and put together a new chart.


“You like carrots, right?” I asked DD.


His ears twitched. I took that as a yes.


“How about potatoes? Onions? Celery? Maybe a pinch of salt? Some boiling water? You see where I’m going with this?”


He twitched his ears again, but I wasn’t convinced he understood. Rabbits can be a little dense.


I couldn’t blame DD. He did what rabbits do. Nibbling was his nature.  I thought about people I’d known who’d saved themselves heartache by understanding ‘the nature of the beast.’


Knowing her narcissistic colleague would always put his needs first saved a friend from expecting him to return favors.  It wasn’t in his nature.  She refused to deal with him.


Friends had accepted their father had no interest in getting sober. He’d ruined too many family gatherings. They told him he wasn’t welcome until he stopped drinking.


In my own recovery I’d learned it wasn’t in some people’s nature to accept me not drinking.  I understood there was no reasoning with them.  I avoided them instead.

 

Today I’ll try to understand the nature of the beast and act accordingly.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment