Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Novella

 

Stalled

Later that night, I sat down to write. Our dog sat on my lap, ready to help with the editing.

Fifteen minutes in, I shook my head.  “Gotta be ready for the stall.”

Our dog cocked her head to the side, not sure what I meant.

“Weight lifters flip those huge tractor tires to build up their upper bodies. At some point they switch from an underhand to an overhand grip.”

The dog cocked her head the other way.  I explained further.

“A lot of times that’s when their momentum stalls. They gotta either try harder or let the tire fall back down.”

She wagged her tail. She got it.

“Smart lifters psych themselves up, preparing for the stall, deciding they’re going to push through no matter what.”

More tail wagging.

“People succeed when they prepare for the stall. They accept they’re gonna be a little lonely after they get out of a bad relationship, they’re gonna be a little hungry on a sensible diet, they’re gonna miss whatever drug they give up, at least at first.”

The dog nudged me. Time to stop thinking about the stall and write through it.


Today I’ll prepare for the stall, and push through it.


Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment