Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Novella

 Wobble, Wobble

The day after Christmas I got a text from an AA newcomer saying he didn’t drink over Christmas, but I had no idea how much he wanted to.

I begged to differ, remembering a time when I wanted a drink almost as much as I wanted my next breath.

I wrote back telling him wobbling was natural. ‘You may wobble, but don’t fall, at least not today.’

Not long before, I had asked my group to list their wobbles, things they weren’t going to do, even if they were afraid they might.

I smiled remembering some of their answers.

I won’t break my diet today, but I will freeze the cookies in case a famine breaks out.

I won’t lose faith.

I won’t buy anything I don’t need being sold on TV, even if it is on sale, and there’s only ten left,  so help me God.  

I won’t drink.

I won’t set my teenage son’s room on fire, no matter how messy it is today.  

At the end of the group we’d agreed that if you stood on wobbly legs long enough you’d make them stronger. You’d stop wobbling.

 

Today I may wobble, but I will stand.

 

Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment