Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Novella

 Promises, Promises

When I got home I discovered my daughter Blondie had been home, looking for something in the cabinet.

I knew this because everything that had been in the cabinet was now on the counter, including a shot glass she’d gotten for me on a grade school trip to the zoo.

To her it had been a cute little glass with a tiger face on it.  To me it had been a reward for keeping a promise to myself.

Long before she was born I had promised myself I was done drinking. I’d kept that promise, one day at a time, for decades. 

My daughter had never seen me drunk. I’d never let her down because I was hungover. She’d never heard the booze say an angry word to her.

I laughed remembering she’d had no idea why giving me a shot glass was funny.

I thought of all the people I knew who’d reaped the rewards for keeping promises they’d made to themselves.


Today I’ll keep the promises I’ve made to myself.

 

 

Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment