Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Novella

 

Play the Tape Through

I moved to my bed, sitting upright on top of the covers, laptop resting on my thighs. The dog had followed me onto the bed.

“I’m gonna slide under the covers,” I said. “Not the whole way, just my up to my knees.” 

The dog looked skeptical. She didn’t need to remind me I had a hard time staying awake once I slid under the blankets.

I knew what she was thinking – ‘Play the Tape Through,’ a slogan that suggested predicting what would happen this time based on what happened before.

Suppose you got blind drunk the last three times you planned to have a beer or two. The next time you went out for a couple of drinks, you’d be wise to Play the Tape Through first.   You’d recognize there was a strong possibility you were kidding yourself and would wind up drunk again.

“This is different,” I said to the dog. “I’m really excited about writing this. I’ll stay up.”

Sometime during the night I woke up. Dr. Deb had put my laptop away. The dog stirred, and looked at me with a canine ‘I told you so’ face.

Today I’ll play the tape through.

 

Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment