Monday, January 16, 2023

Novella

 

Toad You So

The next day I was at the gym. I looked into the steam room. Empty. 

I sat down, shut my eyes, and smiled, relishing the quiet.

I heard the door open.  I looked up, hoping it wasn’t Toad. Of course, it was.

Toad, I didn’t know his real name, liked to talk, but never seemed to listen. He always seemed to show up when I most wanted to sit quietly with my own thoughts.

We sat in silence for a minute.

“You know what the hardest part of changing anything is?” he asked.

“Being patient with your progress,” I said.

“No. It’s being patient with your progress.”  

Knowing he hadn’t heard what I’d just said made tuning him out much easier. I let him ramble on and on as I thought about changes that take time.

Eating healthier doesn’t change your physique overnight.

Sometimes you have to set boundaries for other people again and again before they respect them.

Getting in shape can be a slow process.

People who stay sober are the ones who learn over time to be comfortable without alcohol. Like the slogan says, Time Takes Time.

The trick was to be patient with your progress.

 

Today I will be patient with my progress.

 

Novella is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment