Wednesday, October 12, 2016


58. One Thing At A Time
On the drive home the car in front of me drifted across the center line several times.  I thought ‘DUI’ until I noticed the driver looked down as he left his lane. 

“He’s texting and driving,” I said to myself.  “He’s gonna get hurt because he can’t stay in the present moment, he can’t stick to the task at hand.” I thought about people I’d counseled who’d lost jobs, custody, or relationships because they couldn’t focus on the here and now.  They wanted to fit drinking into the work schedule.  Their kids acted up because it was the only way to get attention from an addicted parent.  Relationships ended because they were more concerned about getting high than making their loved ones happy.   

“You can’t do two things at once,” I said to myself. “Especially if booze or drugs is one of those things. 

Today I will focus on the here and now.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment