Sunday, October 23, 2016

65. The What If Game
The next morning I asked Margaret how she was holding up.  She was scheduled for surgery the following day.

“I was worrying myself sick,” Margaret said, “then my husband and I played the ‘what if’ game.”

“The ‘what if’ game?” I asked.

“When I’m worried, I come up with horrible ‘what ifs.’ He answers with a wonderful or a silly what if.  I asked him, ‘What if the surgeon’s drunk and operates on the wrong hip?’ He said, ‘What if the surgeon’s so good you’re dancing the next day?’ I asked, ‘What if I’m allergic to the anesthesia, have a stroke, and you have to take care of me 24/7?’ He answered, ‘What if a side effect of the anesthesia is an uncontrollable desire to cook gourmet meals for your husband wearing nothing but a short apron?” Margaret blushed a little and laughed.  “I think he spent too much time at sea.”

“Sounds like a great game,” I said.

“If you’re gonna dwell on bad what ifs, you might as well think about the good ones too.”

Today I will play both sides of the ‘what if’ game.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment