Sunday, October 30, 2016

70. Go With The Positive
The next day Howard came to my office with two cups of black coffee.  He handed me one and sat down.  After a long pause he said, “She told me last night she used birth control the whole time we were married.  Planned to stop if I got my act together, but I never did.”  

“Why do you think she didn’t tell you?” I asked.

“’Cause I might have talked her into getting pregnant.  I would have told her a kid would straighten me out, make me want to drink less.  I’d have been just another guy hangin’ out at the bar, talking about how much he loved the kid he hardly ever saw.” 

“How do you feel about that?”

“I was grateful and I was pissed.”  He shook his head, stared at his shoes, looked up at me and added, “I decided to go with grateful. Might as well stay positive.” 

Given a choice today, I’ll go with the positive.

 Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment