Wednesday, October 26, 2016

68. Looking Good
Later that day I walked past the small group room where The Other Ken had our clients deciphering AA/NA slogans.  Felix asked me what the slogan ‘don’t compare your insides to other people’s outsides’ meant.

“What do you think it means?” I asked, not wanting to do their work for them.

Felix said, “Your intestines will never look as good as their skin?”

“It’s easier for your neighbors to have nice lawn than for you to keep your house clean,” Howard guessed.

“Don’t look at skinny people after you’ve put a thousand calories into your belly?” Roy joked.

“You guys are a riot,” I said.  “It means don’t compare how you feel to the way other people look.  Just because someone has money or a nice car doesn’t mean they’re any happier than you. Measuring how they look against the way you feel is apples to oranges.”

Today I won’t compare my insides to other people’s outsides.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment