Tuesday, October 18, 2016

62. Friends, Sorta, W/O Benefits
“What’s up with Roy?” I asked.

The Other Ken said, “Now that he’s sober, Roy sees his daughter’s an amazing person, his wife not so much.  He doesn’t know what to say because he feels he owes his wife for sticking by him.”

“Are you recommending marriage counseling?” I asked.

A sad look crossed his face as he said, “I already did, but he rejected it.  Roy’s plan is to settle into the loveless, roommate kinda marriage his parents had.  He thinks most marriages are like that, but people pretend they’re in love because they can’t face reality.  Roy says we’re lucky if twenty years into a marriage it’s ‘happily tolerable’.”

“I know it’s what he grew up with, but that is so sad,” I said, making a mental note to tell my wife how lucky I was to have married her.

Today I won’t accept ‘tolerable.’
Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment