Sunday, October 9, 2016

55. Can I Help You?
“When do you start the cancer treatments?” I asked Street Sign.

“I don’t,” he said.  Seeing the look on my face, he added, “I’m a tired eighty-year-old tied to this oxygen tank. My hip aches when it rains. Except for RuhRoh here, nobody really depends on me.”

“You have to get treatment!” I stammered, not knowing what else to say.

“I don’t.  And you don’t have to like my decision, but I hope you’ll be there if I need you.”

My heart dropped into my shoes, as I wracked my brain for a way to change his mind. “Okay, you can count on me,” I said with no enthusiasm whatsoever.

“Try to be grateful you’re in a position to help,” he said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

Today I will be grateful if I’m able to help.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment