Monday, October 30, 2017

Saturday, February 8th, 2020

With All My Might
MaryJo drank her hot chocolate and Rudy and I helped her to her feet. We moved her to a chair in an office next to the room where the AA meeting was being held. Rudy handed her a donut and she took a tiny bite. We sat in silence for a moment.

“You want to know what happened, why I don’t eat?” she asked me, her voice barely a whisper. “My husband called me from the kitchen. I said ‘wait a minute.’ I was watching TV. I went into the kitchen at the next commercial. He was lying on floor. Massive heart attack. Two days later he died without ever regaining consciousness.”

Rudy looked at me and said, “She blames herself. She shouldn’t.”

“No?” MaryJo asked. “Ken, he fell by the sink. On the counter behind the sink was the baby aspirin. He might have lived if I had gotten him that aspirin. We were two foodies in love. I can’t eat without thinking of him.”

“Heart disease doesn’t happen overnight,” Rudy said. “He might have died no matter what you did.”

Today I’ll let go of what might have been.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose
2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment