Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Don’t Feed the Hand That Bites You
I got to the Sunday night meeting late and took a seat in the back next to MaryJo and Phil.  An uneaten donut sat on MaryJo’s plate.

The chairman called for the readings. Phil rose from his seat, pushing on his cane. He read the Twelve Steps in a steady voice. The man refused to surrender to the pain.

The chairman introduced Rudy, that evening’s speaker. “My father wasn’t a bad guy,” Rudy said, “I can’t blame him for my drinking.” As Rudy told his story, I thought Rudy was wrong. His father was a bad guy, a brutal, arrogant, tyrant who had crushed Rudy’s spirit.

I doubted I’d ever like Rudy, but I understood him better. He had been bitten time and again trying to feed the ego of his abusive father. 

Today I won’t feed the hand that bites me.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment