Monday, October 2, 2017

2020 Vision will return tomorrow.  Today is my  29th sober anniversary and I always take the day off. The last time I had a drink, I made an illegal left turn at 3:00 a.m. and hit a county sheriff. I had just gotten kicked out of my Ph.D. program and my divorce was a month from being final. I was $35K in debt and living in a sad apartment with a blind cat and no furniture.

Life is good now. My wife and I have been happily married for twenty-six years. My son and daughter amaze me. They've never seen me drunk, and have a hard time believing the stories from my younger days.  I was lucky enough to hold onto most of my old friends.  I love my job.

I write this every year to remind myself of all the rewards of recovery, and what life was like when I was still drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment