Sunday, October 29, 2017

Saturday, February 8th, 2020

With Apologies to Weasels Everywhere
I turned from the coffee pot in time to see MaryJo slide out of her chair onto the floor.

Rudy took off his jacket, folded it, and slid it under her head. He asked someone to make her hot chocolate from one of the packets sitting next to the coffee pot. “Use warm, not hot, water,” he said, “she needs to drink it right away.”

Rudy looked up, saw the concern on my face, and said, “She doesn’t eat.” 

Before that moment I pitied Rudy, but there wasn’t much I liked about him. If asked, I’d have described him as a whiny, arrogant, weasel, meaning no disrespect to other members of the weasel family. (I once owned a ferret who hid my wallet and car keys, but had none of Rudy’s character flaws.)

Watching him take care of MaryJo, I saw a side of him I hadn’t seen before.

Today I’ll be grateful for whatever brings out the best in people.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment