Thursday, October 5, 2017

‘Bring the Body and the Mind Will Follow’
I asked Blaine to come into my office and tell me his story.

Blaine had been raised by a hard-drinking, workaholic father he rarely saw, and a wine and Valium loving mother. He was allowed to drink wine from an early age.  His mother let him smoke weed in the basement when his father wasn’t around.  He said, “Some people have stocked refrigerators.  We had a stocked medicine cabinet. To be honest with you Ken, I can’t wait to get off probation so I can get high again. I’m just doing rehab to make the court happy.”

“Then no more opiates, and no more bullshit stories about how your urine got dirty,” I said.  “Maybe you’re not here for the right reason, but you’re in the right place, and that’s a start. They have a saying in AA. Bring the body and the mind will follow.”

Blaine laughed, “My older brother dragged himself to church for a year just to make his girlfriend happy.  They broke up, but he’s studying to be a minister.”

Today I will drag myself to the right place.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment