Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Sooner Rather Than Later
I went back to my office. Just as I was settling into my desk chair, when a young man I didn’t recognize stuck his head in my door. “Can you watch me pee?” he asked. He was holding a specimen cup.

We went into the bathroom.  He passed a breathalyzer, and then provided me with a sample. I dipped the twelve panel test into his urine.  He watched over my shoulder. I told him I’d let him know if anything showed up.

“Oh, I know it’s clean,” he said still peering over my shoulder as the test strips darkened.

“You’re positive for opioids,” I said. He told me that was impossible.  I tested him again. “You’re still positive for opioids,” I said. I started to fill out the paperwork.  He put his hand on the paper.

“Before you mark me positive, here’s what I think happened.  I give my cat an injection once a week.  I got the needle from the vet.  He must have used it giving painkillers to large animals. Then, to save money, he recapped the needle and gave it to me like it was brand new.  He’d save money on supplies that way.  I accidentally stuck myself with that needle. Probably how I got opioids in my system.”

I started to argue with him, but changed my mind. Instead, I said, “The sooner you get clean, the longer you’ll have to look back on your recovery, the longer you’ll have to enjoy your life.”

Today I’ll remember, the sooner I get started, the longer I’ll have to look back and enjoy.

  
2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment