Wednesday, October 4, 2017

I Thought It Was A Different Kind of Aspirin
I circled ‘positive’ in the block marked opiates.

The man’s name was Blaine and he wasn’t happy. “Don’t you believe me?” he asked.

“That your vet gave you a used syringe, you accidently pricked yourself with the needle, and this put enough leftover opiates into your system to be detected on a urine drug screen?” I asked him. “No.”

He started to say something, but I interrupted. “Here’s the deal about lying.  If you feel good about lying it’s usually because you like getting over on people who believed you.  You can get hooked on that rush. Feeling bad about lying can be the first step toward relapse. And if you don’t feel anything when you lie, lying becomes just another tool you use to get away with things, liking getting high while on probation.  AA and NA suggest being rigorously honest to avoid those traps.”

“Okay,” Blaine said, “Here’s the truth, I went to get an aspirin, but somebody musta put a Percocet in the pill bottle…”
Today I’ll try to be rigorously honest.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment