Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Which Puppy Do You Feed?
The phone rang at Jack’s end. I could picture him sitting at his desk, absorbed in whatever he was doing, in no hurry to grab the phone. The answering machine clicked on just as he picked up.  “I’ll call you back,” I said over the sound of the recorded message.

When I called back Jack said, “My agent thinks he has a publisher, not great money, but good.”

“Nice!” I said. “Are you excited?”

“I am,” he said with almost no emotion. I pictured a snail, raising its head slowly, giving a half smile, and then sliming off somewhere.

“Try not to get too excited,” I said. “It’s bad for the heart.”

He chuckled. “I am excited, smartass.”

I was excited too, but also a little jealous. My mixed emotions reminded me of the legend of the two wolves that live inside us. These  two emotions were pups. I decided to feed the excited one.  “So tell me about the publisher.”

Today I’ll be happy for someone, even if I am a little jealous.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose
2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment