Monday, May 21, 2018


Foul Sot
I got a call from a guy I’d played basketball with in adult summer leagues. He’d gotten a DUI, and had been court ordered to get counseling.

“I blew .10,” he said. “If I’d just skipped that last beer, I’d have been OK.”

“You’ve coached hoops,” I said. “If your player missed a foul shot that would have won the game, and the rest of the team got angry with him, what would you say?”

“I’d say it wasn’t that one foul shot.  A lapse on defense here, a bad pass there, it all put us in that spot where we needed to make that final foul shot.”

“A drink or two too many, here.  Driving home drunk a time or two, there. It all put you on that road where you got caught.  You gotta take a look at your whole life, just like you’d look at an entire game.”

“God, what a cliché,” he said.

“What I just said, or you blaming your DUI on that last drink?”

Today I will look at the whole game.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment