Wednesday, May 23, 2018


 Great Sets
When I got home, Brat Boy was unpacking his bag from volleyball practice. He set his dirty clothes on the kitchen table, and I shot him a look.

“I had great sets today,” he said. I laughed. It was a running joke between us.  The first time he told me he’d had great sets, he was thirteen. I didn’t know anything about competitive volleyball, and I misheard him.

“Do you remember our discussion, the one about babies?” I had asked him, trying not to yell and thinking we needed to have another long talk.  He saw my face and laughed.

“Sets, Dad. S-E-T-S.  The setter hits the ball a couple of feet above my head so I can smash it into the floor on the other side of the net.” 

“Oh, that’s different,” I had said, as a tidal wave of relief washed over me. 

Today I will make sure I understand before I react.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment