Wednesday, May 2, 2018


History-ECTomy
“You missed the Intellecture!” Drivel said, poking his head into my cubicle at the end of the day.  “They were offering discounts on history-ECTomies.”

I said, “I think the word is ‘hysterectomy,’ and I’m pretty sure I don’t need one, no matter how deep the discount.”

“No, it’s a history-ECTomy. You know what ECT is, elctro-convulsive therapy.  Shock treatments.  Mike Maverick had developed a technique using a really mild shock to help fade memories.  You partially forget painful parts of your history.”

“Don’t think I need a history-ECTomy either.  Painful history makes me grateful for right now. It serves as a warning to avoid past mistakes. I like to think the past has given me skills to get through whatever tough times are ahead.”

“Okay, but right now he’s dropped the price for three sessions to $100 each.  When he gets his technique approved by the American Psychiatric Association, the price is going to skyrocket.”

I wanted to ask him how the shock was administered, but decided I was better off not knowing.

Today I’ll try to be grateful for the benefits of past pain.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment