Thursday, October 11, 2018

Being There
I hadn’t expected to hear from Cara so soon, but a week later I got a call at work.

“Hi Ken, it’s Cara,” she said. “Hope you don’t mind me calling you at work, but didn’t have your number.”  I liked Cara, but there was a reason she didn’t have my cell phone number.

“No problem,” I said. “What’s up?”

“Katie died. Her family invited all her recovering friends to her funeral and wake.  I thought you might like to be there.”

I did want to be there, if for no other reason to than to support her family.  Katie’s passing was sad, but I was grateful I could show up when needed. That wasn’t always the case when I was drinking.

Today I’ll be grateful if I can be there for somebody.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment