Monday, October 1, 2018

Let ‘em Eat Cake
Daniel took over when The New Boss retired. His perfectionism nearly drove him over the edge.
One day I was leaving the office late.  Daniel was pacing, paper towel roll in one hand, a bottle of cleaner in the other. Some people eat when they're stressed. Others shop. Daniel cleaned. I asked him what was going on.

“Don’t think I can do this,” Daniel said. 

“Daniel,” I said, “The company is doing well with you in charge. What’s the problem?"

“We’re doing well overall, but we’re not having a good week.”

“Sometimes you eat your cake without icing,” I said. “It’s still cake.”

“What are you talking about?” Daniel asked. “Cake?”

“If I don’t drink today that’s the cake. It’s enough to call the day a ‘success.’ Some days I get a lot done. Something good happens. Icing on the cake.  If you do everything right you might only get cake some days, but sooner or later you get the icing too.”

Daniel smiled. “Kind of a weak take on an old expression, Ken.”

“Cake my friend, it was good enough to get my point across, it was cake.”

Today I’ll be grateful for cake, with or without icing.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment