Friday, October 19, 2018

What a Dumb Idea, Let’s Do It!
I went to the gym.  Over the years, I’d heard some intelligent people spout some dumb ideas in the locker room. Mostly they were the dumb belief notion variety, with a few dumb plan ideas thrown in for good measure.  A guy headed for divorce had said, “I don’t have to tell her I love her. She can look at the house or in the garage or at her own bank account and know that I do.”  Near April 15th a few years after that another man told me, “The IRS doesn’t bother with guys like us.”

That day the dumb ideas overflowed like a clogged toilet.   A guy in his forties said, “I don’t see how either of those DUIs were my fault.” He was on the other side of the lockers. I waited for his friends to disagree. Instead, one said, “I drive better when I’ve had a few. I pay attention.” Another added, “It’s all about the money.  They just pull you over to collect the fines.” 

Double DUI Guy told his friends he blew a .18 on his second time around. “That’s not really drunk,” he said. I had totaled a car at .16. His friend said, “You can’t trust those breathalyzers.”  The other guy said, “Don’t worry, they’ll bundle them and treat both DUIs as one offense,” referring to one of the dumbest ideas to come out of the legal system in years.

“Want to go to North Park Lounge?” Double DUI Guy asked. They all thought that was a great idea. I didn’t want to know who was driving.

Today I’ll beware of dumb ideas. They tend to be contagious.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment