Thursday, October 25, 2018

Get Back
When Billie got to my house she hugged me for a long time.  She hugged Roger and Trevor. She held out her arms for Josh, but he held up his index finger and said, “Wait a minute while I double check this card.”  She walked behind him and smacked him on the back of his head.

I said, “You’re in scrubs. I thought you only dealt with other nurses now.  You wear scrubs for that?”

“I got my full license back,” Billie said. “I work in a doctor’s office two days a week.  I get to see patients and I don’t have to pass meds.”

“You gotta love that,” I said.

“I thought I’d lost my license forever, but now I’m back.  They say you don’t appreciate things until they’re gone, but I gotta tell you, you appreciate them so much more when they come back.”

She glanced at Trevor.  We were fairly certain he wasn’t going to work as a policeman any time soon.  He’d shown up to a fire scene drunk, parked on a hose, and tasered the fire chief who told him to move his patrol car.

“Crazy as my wife is,” Roger said, “I was so lucky not to lose her.”

“I totaled two cars without airbags,” I said. “I walked away without a scratch.  I kept full use of my body and my brain. Just dumb luck, but I’m grateful.”

“I’ll win my money back tomorrow,” Josh said as he dumped his scratch-off tickets in the trash. “I’ve got a system.”  Billie smacked him in the back of his head again.

Today I’ll be grateful for things I didn’t lose forever.
.
Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment