Monday, October 8, 2018

Dogged Determination
I sat in my basement chair, trying to come up with a title for my new blog.  My tired mind got stuck on off-the-wall conversations I’d had over the years with people in recovery.  They wouldn’t make good titles:  “The Do’s & Don’ts of Public Urination,”  “A Makeup Artist’s Guide to Hiding Track Marks,” “‘I Pay Your Salary’ and Other Things NOT to Say to the Officer”.  I wanted to give up.
The dog sat at the front door. She started to bark. I called her name. She kept barking. I said, “Come here!” She barked louder.

 “Shut up, you miserable inbred hound from hell!” I yelled.  More barking.

Knowing it was the wrong thing to do, knowing I was rewarding the dog for barking, I trudged upstairs to the door.  She wagged her tail furiously, as if to say, ‘See, I saved you from the two little girls walking by! They might have attacked at any moment if not for my determined barking.’
The trouble with dogs is they’re too loveable.  I couldn’t stay mad at her. I scratched her ears thinking I could learn a lesson on determination from her.  I went back downstairs and finished my blog.

Today I will face my job with dogged determination.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment