Tuesday, June 11, 2019


Do I Have To?
As we talked, I heard a baby cry.  “Please tell me you’re not babysitting in your shop,” I said to Trevor. “Most pediatricians would tell you babies and woodworking tools don’t mix.”

“Spare me the sarcasm,” Trevor said.  “Sue is here with baby Katie. I have to make her an heirloom rocking chair.”

He choked up a little as he spoke. I started to say something even more sarcastic, but thought better of it. Trevor was back to doing something he loved, for someone who would truly appreciate his efforts. He said ‘have to’ but I knew he meant ‘love to.’

After we hung up, I mentally made three lists. The first was things I had to do, but hated doing.  The second list was things I had to do, but didn’t mind doing.  My third list consisted of things I had to do and loved doing.

I hated all the paperwork needed to get trainings accredited. Researching and writing training materials wasn’t such a burden. Presenting, especially to a small group with a sense of humor, was my favorite part of my job. I was grateful it was something I ‘had’ to do.

Today I’ll be grateful for things I love having to do.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment