Wednesday, June 26, 2019


I See Dots
"I think the universe wants me to have one more drink,” the woman new to the AA meeting said to me, out of the blue.  “I was looking for my missing shoe. When I looked under the bed, I found a bottle of vodka I must have forgotten I hid there.”

“Alcohol messes with your memory,” I said.  “Not sure that’s a message.”

“There’s more.  As I left my apartment building I smelled weed. Kids were probably getting high in our alcove on their way to school.  Driving to work, a tiny airplane bottle of whiskey rolled out from under my seat."

“Still not convinced the Universe is telling you to relapse.”

“Connect the dots.  Call it fate or karma or whatever, but not coincidence. The dots line up – the vodka, the weed, the whiskey.”

“Or,” I said, shaking my head. “Your boyfriend hid your shoe and the vodka.  He put the tiny bottle in your car.  He smoked weed in front of the building knowing you’d walk through the smoke.”

“Why would he do that?” she asked.

“I don’t know you, but let me guess. When you’re drunk he’s more likely to get sex.  You let him control the money and the TV remote.  If you stay sober, you’ll be more in control.”

“You oldtimers are so cynical,” she said.

“Connect the dots.”

Today I’ll be careful how I connect the dots.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment