Monday, June 3, 2019


Unreasonably Positive
Sam called to ask if he could leave Bubbles with me at lunchtime.

“Sorry about the late notice,” Sam said, “But a doctor appointment opened up and I had to take it.”

“You OK?” I asked. He said he was fine, but I knew he was lying. 

Before Bubbles arrived, tension had filled the air. Paperwork piled up on my desk as I worked on the renewal form. Our site was preparing for a yearly audit, stressful even when everything is in order. The clients were struggling with the arrest of a group member likely to do serious time.

Bubbles greeted me like I was wearing a steak suit.  When I brought her inside she ran to Miss Rella’s office and jumped into Cindy’s lap, kissing her chin. From there she darted to the door of the group room.

I should have put her in my office, but I couldn’t help myself. “New group member,” I said, holding up Bubbles for The Other Ken to see.  He looked relieved. I set Bubbles on the ground and all heaven broke loose.  As Bubbles ran from person to person, the mood of the group lifted.

I thought, when the world seems like an endless drone of bad news and negativity, you need that person, that animal, that thing that’s just endlessly and unreasonably positive no matter what.

Today I’ll find something endlessly and unreasonably positive.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment