Thursday, June 27, 2019


Slope
To my stunned surprise, Sam walked in holding hands with his ex-ex-girlfriend, Pam.  When she went to the Ladies Room, I said, “Didn’t you break up just a couple of days ago?”

“We did,” he said, and trailed off.

“Didn’t you say you looked forward to seeing her with all the enthusiasm you’d have for your own autopsy?”

“I know, I know,” Sam said shaking his head.  “We were broken up. I called to see if she was OK. Turned out to be a slippery slope. We got to talking about the few good times we had. The next I knew we were engaged.”

My mouth dropped open. I stared.  “You’re like the guy who goes to the bar to have a Pepsi and ends up on episode of Cops.”

Sam stared into his coffee. “Some slopes are more slippery than others. That’s why you don’t go near them.”

Today I will remember ‘slippery slopes’ are called ‘slippery slopes’ for a reason.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment