Monday, June 10, 2019


Rome Rebuilt
Trevor called. 

“Did you know 70% of Rome burned in 64 A.D.?” Trevor asked. “Seventy percent.”

“Didn’t know that,” I said.  “Why are you telling me this?”

“Reminding myself Rome wasn’t built in a day, wasn’t rebuilt in a day either.”

“Are you having trouble getting the shop running again?" 

“No, but my ex and I are getting back together. It’s like walking on egg shells, except the shells are glass, and filled with angry bees, and if I step too hard…”

“It’s like when you first got sober, and everybody was mad at you, you were unemployed, and weren’t sure you could stay sober.  Did you ever think you’d get a business going, or get your wife back?”

“Took years,” Trevor said. “Can’t expect to rebuild our marriage in a day.  It was harder to restore Rome because they had all those homeless people to take care of, but they rebuilt it much better. My ex and I have a lot of painful memories, but maybe we can do better this time.”

Today I’ll accept rebuilding can be harder than building, but offers a chance to do things better.



Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment